Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Writing critique groups and writing partners? Yay or Nay? What say you...

What are the benefits of joining a writing critique group or get a writing partner or two? Is it wise to go it alone in your writing process or should one seek another discerning eye to give voice to what we fail to see or what we just plain ignore in our writing? I myself have not used a critique group or worked with a writing partner in my foray into novel writing and I must say I’m quite hesitant to start.

Obviously the benefits are tremendous for those who self-publish—which I’m still up in the air on —however I’m deathly anal about my writing. My beat writing from long ago during my college newspaper days along with my poetry and creative writing from even longer ago all had to be edited over and over before I even contemplated sharing it. What can I say, I’m a perfection at my craft and prefer self-criticism first and foremost. Therefore it feels me with angst to think about having someone read my unedited writing and then provide their “solicited” opinion on said unedited work.

So the question I’m presented with is how would a writing partner or critique group benefit me personally? Would I be able to join a group/partner that meets face-to-face or would an online interaction suffice? What are the best avenues to meet and connect with others to join a critique group or find a writing partner? Would I be open to a group or a partner from other genres or should I stick strictly with romance and women’s fiction focused writers. While the critique in its essence would be beneficial wouldn’t this take away from the time for actually writing, editing, etc?

What say you writers? Do you use writing partners or critique groups? What have been the benefits that made you decide to continue using this resource? Don’t get me wrong, I’m all about connecting and networking with other writers, readers and lovers of all things literary. However I’m not completely sold on the benefits outweighing the demands on my already scarce amount of free time.

No comments:

Post a Comment